Friday, January 2, 2009

My 2009 Resolutions

Since I don't have my camera yet, but feel the need to post, I decided to list some of the things I plan to work on this year. Not that any of you care, since these are personal goals, but maybe, just maybe, if I put them in writing in a public forum, I will actually succeed at some of them. We'll see. Feel free to remind me of my goals if you see or hear that I am slacking off. I sure could use some swift kicks in the derierre to get me motivated!

1. Get My Household Organized

After almost 4 years of staying at home, you would think I have found a good system for household chores. Well, you would be thinking wrong. I have actually found a good system for grocery shopping and meal planning (which may warrant its own post on here), but when it comes to the cleaning part of running this house, I always feel like I am drowning in dirty dishes, unfolded laundry, and clutter. Part of this is because of my personality. I am pretty laid back in most aspects of my life, and unfortunately, cleaning is one of them. I would much rather play with the kids, run errands, or poke my eyes out with sticks than clean. Alright, maybe I am exaggerating, but I like to live in the moment, and there just aren't many moments when where I feel like cleaning. I pray every night that I will get even just a smidge of a cleaning OCD like I used to pray for boobs in junior high.

And, just like high school and beyond, when I had to support my lack of boobs (with a Wonderbra), I have to support my lack of cleaning OCD. I plan on doing this with a home management binder. I can just see those of you who have known me for a while spitting your coffee at the computer in a fit of laughter, but I am serious!!! Just google Home Managment Binder and you will find all kinds of blogs and sites about these. I know, there are actually organized people out there...who knew? I plan on making my own using the ideas and free printables I find online. Wish me luck...I am going to need it. I will let all 5 of my blog readers know when I have made some good headway on this. Hopefully it will be before Xavier heads off to college.

2. Exercise and eat better

I KNOW, this is sooooooo cliche of new year's resolutuions. But, I am so tired of looking at the plastic tub of clothes in my closet that I am too big for. I refuse to spend another summer wearing pants in the 90 degree heat because I hate my thighs. I really don't think I eat that badly, but, like most of us fat Americans, I eat too much. I also DO NOT exercise. At all. Again, I sure wish I had some kind of OCD in this area, but I am L-A-Z-Y (and I ain't got no alibi.) If I won the lottery, I would not buy a fancy car, or even a bigger house, but God Bless America, I would pay for a personal trainer. I have to get into some kind of routine, and it has to be all me, because there is no money in the budget for a gym membership or a trainer. Oh, we have all kinds of exercise equipment here, but I guess just looking at the treadmill doesn't melt the pounds away. Hmm...who would have thought? This is going to be the hardest one for me.

3. Quit Biting my Nails

Ridiculous. I am 30-some years old and still biting my nails. I seem to go through spurts with this, and just need to put polish on them to keep from biting.

4. Stop Being a Shlumpadinka

What is a shlumpdinka? Here's the definition, according to the Urban Dictionary: The word Oprah Winfrey made up a long time ago to describe slumpy housewives, the types that are wearing the same sweats they wore yesterday and the day before. They usually have more than one child and are running around non stop and have been totally worn out and given up on how they look.

As I said in a previous post, I really don't watch Oprah (despite the fact that I know she uses this word!) I heard she did a show about shlumpadinkas and I can say that 90% of the time, I am one. With two kids, by the time I get them dressed and ready to go somewhere, there's no time for my own froofing. So, I am often in sweats, a hat, and no make-up. (This is also due to my #2 resolution. I don't feel comfortable in many of my clothes right now.) I realize that I am not going to be able to go out with full make-up and hair at all times, but putting on jeans, a decent shirt, and actually showering before errands probably isn't too much to ask. I definitely feel better when I take a little time to get ready.

5. Consistency!

Being consistent has never been a strong area of mine. I know that I will not master this skill, but I really need to improve my consistency in most areas of my life...discipling and playing with the kids, housework, home improvement projects, etc. I am almost thinking about trying to put myself on a schedule for a little while. There are too many days when I look at the clock, am shocked to see it is 3:00 and I haven't accomplished squat.

6. Improve my Conversation Skills

What, what, what????? Julie, the girl who could talk for an hour with the person behind her in line needs to improve conversation skills?? It's not so much the conversation itself, but the fact that I like to talk. A lot. SO, I tend to dominate most conversations. I also interrupt without realizing, until after the fact, that I did it. Maybe I can blame it on my middle child need-to-be-the-center-of-attention syndrome, but I need to slow down and do more listening. Sheesh, I am surprised some of you still answer your phones when you see it's me on the caller ID. I am incapable of a 10 minute conversation!

Well, there they are. Oh, there are many other things I need to work on, but I am going to focuse on these and revisit them from time to time. Feel free to share any of your goals for 2009. I wish all of you a very happy and healthy new year and good luck with anything you wish to accomplish this year!!!!

2 comments:

Joanne said...

With regard to the conversation skills, I have to say that I never notice you bulldozing the conversation but maybe that's because I am! I think it's especially hard when you are a SAHM because you just don't talk to too many people. I always feel sorry for the librarians, grocery store clerks, and starbucks barristas that I attack with my verbage, but what can you do? :)

Aimee Reisert said...

How are the resolutions going?