Last week, I was out running some errands with only Aubrey and decided on a whim to stop at Whole Foods. This particular store is about 2 minutes from my house, yet I rarely, if ever, shop there. I would LOVE to buy all of my groceries at Whole Foods, but since that would at least double my grocery bill, I can't. I do try to buy some organic items, especially milk, but I shop the organic section at Meijer.
I am used to shopping at large chain grocery stores, so I immediately notice several differences just upon entering Whole Foods. First of all, the lighting seems different. It just isn't as harsh and bright as the big stores; it is much softer. And speaking of softer, you know what else I noticed? Quiet, soft music playing and no screaming kids. I felt relaxed and thought that maybe, just maybe, if I shopped here with both kids, they would automatically be on their best behavior due to the WHole Foods ambiance. Hahaha...I laughed about that while feasting upon the many samples this store has to offer. Oh, the samples. Huge chunks of fresh fruit, homemade guacomole, coffee, apple cider, delicious pastries, locally made egg nog, and chocolate truffles. Truffles? Are you kidding me? They were so, so, good.
Speaking of the fruit, I am used to produce just tossed into the bins or boxes they were shipped in. That is not how Whole Foods rolls, my friends. Someone painstakingly stacks the oranges ( no easy feat, I am sure), avocados, apples, etc. into neat displays. Wow.
I just walked up and down the aisles, gazing at the organic cotton onesies, grind your own peanut butter (for a mere $4 a pound), and pesticide-free products. Someday, Whole Foods, we will be a double income home again, and I will spend more than $2.10 (for bananas-which we needed and a reusable shopping bag-because it was cute) at your store. But until then, I will be happy to come and sample your products (mainly around lunchtime with my kids, so I can kill two birds with one stone) and salivate over the free range chickens and fabulous salad bar.
2 comments:
Ha - we always called it Whole Paycheck when I was in New York, because that's what it took.
I think it has has been close to a year since I have been there. I love their store but can't justify paying what I paid to shop there anymore.
Post a Comment