Wednesday, November 26, 2008

20 Questions

I know this is a time to be thankful, and I really, really am. Maybe I will get around to posting all the things I am thankful for, but right now, I am needing to briefly vent.

Xavier is a very inquisitive child. I am lucky that he wants to learn so much. I realize that when he is a sullen teenager or has moved out of the house, I will long for these days: I am the center of his world and he wants to constantly be with me and talk to me. I know my friend Joanne, whose son is autistic, would love for her son to ask her a question. Any question. Believe me, I count my blessings that I have a healthy child.

But, even the supermoms of the world will admit that sometimes, your child can drive you a tiny bit crazy. Xavier asks me to play with him, asks what letter fish starts with, asks what I am doing, asks for a snack, asks to play a game, asks where I am, asks what direction we are going in the car, and just asks. All day long. I love him with all my heart, but there are some days (like today)when I long for quiet. Eating in quiet, driving in quiet, using the bathroom in quiet, just quiet. I have been trying to pack and clean up the house today for our trip, which is probably why it is more frustrating than usual.

I know it is the age, and I do try to answer his questions as thoroughly as I can, but today his insistence and impatience is really driving me insane. Vent Over. Have a great Thanksgiving with your families!!!

2 comments:

Alivia Quallen said...

I know how you feel. I had to make two pies and sweet potatoe casserole today. It took me three hours and many stops in between because Ava needed something or ask me something.

Joanne said...

Ugh, I know how you feel even without either of them talking! I think about that a lot with Anthony, that I wish and wish that he would talk more but I know it can drive you crazy! He does ask questions sometimes, like he says "Driiiiiiink?" when he wants one and "Nuuuuuuuuuk?" when it's time for bed and his Nuk. :) Happy Thanksgiving!