Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Moodiness

It is interesting to me that as a stay-at-home mom, the kind of day I have really depends on the kind of day my children have. It is honestly like I have no say in it at all. I can wake up planning on going to the grocery store that day. The list is made, coupons cut, diaper bag packed. I am feeling really on top of things. Xavier decides he is going to refuse to get in the car? Aubrey screams through 3/4 of the aisles? My well-planned organiztion in hopes of a stress-free trip? Poof. Gone. On the flip side, let's say Xavier dumps an entire box of Cheerios right before a doctor's appointment. I am annoyed, but one "I'm sorry, Mom. I didn't mean it. I love you." from that cute little 2 year old voice? Totally changes my mood.

I am telling you this for a reason. (It's a little long-winded, but you know I talk a lot. Plus, I had a diet coke a little too close to bedtime, so I am feeling the effects of the caffeine.) Those of you who know us know that Shawn is a tax accountant and in the midst of his busy season. This means he becomes the guy who sleeps in our house for a few hours. This means I, in essence, become a single parent. (BTW-How do single parents do this day in, day out AND work outside the home full time? DO they have a lifetime supply of Prozac? Are they all alcoholics in order to cope?) Last night I was trying to get both kids ready for bed. No biggie, I've done it many times before. It never fails, but AFTER Xavier has had his bath and is in his PJs I catch the unmistakable whiff of...you guessed it, so I don't have to say it. I set Aubrey down to start changing him and I realize it is worse than I thought...it is EVERYWHERE and has seeped out of his diaper. I feed this child, yet have no idea what he ate to cause such a mess. He must have a stockpile of prunes hidden under his bed.

SO, as soon as I get into this, Aubrey decides she is hungry and begins screaming. Poor girl, but there is nothing I can do for her at that moment. Xavier's diaper is in such dire straits that a hosing down in the tub is in order. For some reason, he begins sobbing hysterically about not wanting to get in the tub. I put him in there and when the water hits him he is literally screaming like I am throwing knives at him. So, now both of my children are screaming banshees. I considered calling Shawn at work and just holding the phone up for a few minutes, but I decide I will remember this and get my revenge someday by inviting 10 of Aubrey's preteen friends over for a sleepover, then sneaking out of the house. Ha. That will teach him to have so much fun doing tax returns. Back to the story...

Xavier then decides he is going to shiver and sit in the tub rather than get out like I asked him to (still screaming, of course) I tell him that I am going to go and get Aubrey, so he can feel free to continue having his pity party alone. I rescue my poor little lady, an innocent bystander in all of this, and take her to her room to feed her. Xavier finally comes in with his towel wrapped around him and wonders why I am covering my face with my hand and taking such deep breaths. In the only way I can explain it to a two year old, I tell him Mommy needs a time out to calm down. I also tell him that he had better not pee on the carpet. (A side note-he has absolutely no interest in potty training at this time.) He decides, on his own, to go sit on the potty seat. I follow him in there (being the superstar that I am, I can multitask while nursing Aubrey), he sits, nothing happens, gets off. I take Aubrey back into her room to change her, when he runs back into the bathroom, gets on that seat, and would you believe it, actually pees in the toilet (for the first time ever!!) Suddenly, the black cloud has lifted and sunbeams are shooting their way into my bathroom. (For those of you who have kids, you get this. No kids? You probably think I need a lunatic.) AHHH!!! We high-five and dance our potty dance. He immediately starts talking about happy cake (what he calls cake) that Grandma S has promised him if he goes in the potty. Since it is now well past bedtime, I am somehow able to convince him to wait till tomorrow for it. (We have some small cupcakes from Grandma in the freezer waiting for this occasion. I will not be surprised if the are freezer burnt by now!) I know this is not a sure thing and we have a ways to go, but good gosh, it's an accomplishment and I now have gone from planning the glass (or bottle) of wine I will have once those darn kids are asleep to, well, still planning on that wine, just for different reasons. All because of a 2 year old boy. If he only knew the power he has (thank goodness he doesn't!!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The simplest thing I can say is, "I totally get it." Well said!!

Had 2.5 hrs. to myself the other day, to run errands ALONE and felt like I had been at the spa. Crazy thing is that I am NOT joking!

"Clink"--that's me toasting X's step into a diaper-free world.

And, I'm dying to find a good Riesling. Must stock up now! I've had several yummy ones in restaurants recently and I need to find names and get to ordering.