Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Saving Money- Part 2: Use Coupons

One of the big ways I save money is by using coupons. I get my coupons from the Sunday paper and from the Internet. I've heard that there are some stores that do not accept internet coupons, but I've never had a problem at Meijer, where I mainly shop. Most of the grocery stores around here double coupons up to $0.50, so that can really add up to big savings. On average, I save around $10 per trip with coupons. A few weeks ago I saved $22 with coupons alone.

Last year, I discovered some sites that match up store ads to coupons. The writers of these blogs go through the ads and match up sale items with recent newspaper coupons or provide links to internet coupons. Using these sites, I can often get items for very cheap or even free! If it is something I may not use, I put it aside to donate to a local food pantry. Here are a few I use:

www.mommysnacks.blogspot.com
www.moneysavingmom.com
www.ingoodcents.blogspot.com (this is an Indiana-based site)

These blogs also give tips, ideas for inexpensive menus, and offers for free samples. If you are in a different state, you may have to do some searching to find blogs for the grocery stores near you. I'm sure they are out there. They can also point you to some of the printable coupon websites.

Another note: I know several people that take advantage of the CVS extra care deals and Walgreens rebate rewards programs. (The above sites can explain these programs.) I shopped CVS for a few weeks in the fall, but right now, with two small children, I just don't have time to consistently go to these stores. Using their programs can often score free or very cheap health and beauty items, so it may be worth checking it out.

There are several different coupon organizers out there. I use a small 11-slot plastic accordion file that I have labeled with categories. I can easily fit it into my purse. It takes time to cut coupons, but I do this while watching TV, so I feel like it's not something extra I have to do. Once a month, I go through them and pitch the ones that have expired (again, while watching TV). It can take a little time to get in the swing of cutting and organizing, but it doesn't take a lot of extra effort once you get the hang of it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last month I took Nebu in to get a small procedure done at the vet. When I got home I was showing Jamie the bill. "What's this bit here where they took some off?" he asked. "Oh, I had a coupon I found a while back in the yellow pages," I told him. He just shook his head. "Only you would have a coupon for pet surgery," he said. Little does he know the wonders to behold among coupons....

Joanne said...

I'm very impressed with your mad budgeting skills, Julie, I was just telling Mike about them today! I love that moneysavingmom, she gets some crazy deals at Target, right?

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aimee Reisert said...

Speaking of saving money at the vet...I found Snow's heartworm med online for half the price that the vet charges. I filled in the vet info for them to get approval from the vet - the vet actually denied it (they don't trust what you get over the internet) and price matched at the office. I also get Snow's medicines that he occasionally takes that are the same as humans from Walgreens - much cheaper!

Julie said...

I removed my previous comment b/c of a riduculous misspelling! Good call on the tips for the vet! I think people forget that there are ways to save money there, too.

Joanne, it's taken me a while to get to this point. Part of my budgeting is because Shawn gets paid once a month. I know (as he always says) it would be the same amount if he got paid twice a month. But, there are times, especially if we've had a big Costco trip, that the last week of the month we eat a lot of rice and bean-type meals.