Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mr. Independent


Last week, Xavier made another step into the world of independence. He went to his first program without me. I know, those of you who have had kids in daycare, preschool, or Mom's Day Out for a while are going to think I am crazy, but this was a big step for Xavier (and for me!).
We decided to wait another year to put him into an actual preschool program. I work with him at home, plus we go to lots of storytimes and other activities. But, I am always there with him, and I do think he needs some experiences without me there. I wanted to try out some classes the local park district offered for 3-5 year olds. Each class focuses on a different topic, is an hour and a half long, and the kids are dropped off. Yes, we have left Xavier, but it has always been with family members or close friends.
Last Thursday's class was "Awesome Alligators". I walked him into the building and met the teachers. Xavier said bye and didn't look back. (No, I didn't cry, but thought I might!) He had a great time, made the alligator puppet that you can kind of see in the picture, and thoroughly enjoyed the snack. The teachers said he did well (of course, I wanted to ask them all kinds of specific details, but refrained from being the crazy mom.) He'll go to another one about apples in next week. I am glad that he loves going to things like this, but also hate to see my baby growing so quickly!!

1 comment:

Rob and Michele said...

Too cute! What a cool program.

It's definitely tough watching them grow up.

Andrew cried tonight about going back to school. He has NEVER cried before. It broke my heart. That was a tough one to parent.

Can't wait to see what Xavier makes at the apple program!