Monday, September 15, 2008

Birthdays These Days

Friday was my birthday. I have always been a big fan of birthdays and lots of celebrating. I am blessed with many friends and family members who remembered my birthday with cards and gifts (including a beautiful flower arrangement from my very far away friend Michele), and even a friend who made me dinner. But, as I get older, I have found myself getting more and more blah about my birthday. It's my own fault.

Last year, I told Shawn I was going to start planning my own birthday celebrations because I was tired of being disappointed each year. (This is in no way a dig against Shawn. I expect him to read my mind instead of me just saying what I want to do. Not fair to him.) But, as it got closer to my birthday, I just kept ignoring the upcoming day and did not plan a gosh darn thing. I then spent the day feeling sorry for myself. Friends of ours invited us over for dinner, so it wasn't as though I did nothing to mark the occasion. I was just feeling like it was a big letdown (again-totally my fault).

So, next year, I swear I will read this post again and actually make a plan for the day. (Make sure you do, too!) I refuse to accept that birthdays aren't what they used to be because I am getting older. Why shouldn't they be filled with the same anticipation and joy we remember from our childhood? Thank you to all of the wonderful people in my life who remembered my special day. I do really appreciate it, and each call, card, and gift DID brighten my day. So, here's to another year of health and happiness in my life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have my sympathies, Julie. I think I'm in the same boat. Jamie is not a fan of birthdays, which makes it hard to convince him that nonetheless he should try to do something for me, who does like them. I've even slowly started winning him over to the birthday idea by making a big deal about his: planning a get-away weekend, getting a nice gift, the whole caboodle. But I can't quite get him to turn the corner from, "Hey, I really enjoy this attention," to "I should do this for Sarah too." *sigh* Someday.

You know last year I had to spend my whole birthday week by myself because he was out of town on business (looks like it will be the same story this year). At first I was a little glum about it, but then I decided to embrace the aloneness of the birthday and do something fun I would never want someone else around for: I got $20 worth of quarters and blew them all playing Dance Dance Revolution at the arcade. Very silly, but also very fun.

For what it's worth, happy birthday. I think about the life you and Shawn have made for yourselves, from Tecumseh to Logansport to Indy, and I think you are making the rest of us thirtysomethings look lazy. :) You've got a lot to show for this birthday!