Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Note to Solicitors

Dear Door-to-Door Solicitor,

I don't know how you do it, but you sure have a knack for stopping by during the small window of time that both of my kids are napping. It's not the doorbell that awakens my children, but the incessantly barking dog that does. Oh, sure, I could pretend I am not home, but the dog will continue to bark (unless I use some kind of non-ASCPA sanctioned discipline technique on her) and perhaps you will even ring the doorbell again, just to be sure I wasn't in the bathroom and couldn't get to the door quick enough to hear your very important sales pitch about windows.

Yes, I know our home is over 20 years old, and yes, I do know that we need some outside maitenence done. Oh, I promise you, I know. But when I want (and can afford) new windows, or siding, or a vaccuum, or a $10 pack of Reese's, I use the many resources I have at hand to find these services. The random guy pulling up in a beat up car will probably not be my first choice for any of the goods or services I need. And, though it is very friendly and neighborly, even the financial advisor who has a new office nearby and just wants to introduce himself is not welcome during naptime. I do love adult conversation, even if it is about something boring like 529 plans, but I would rather it not be during the very small time frame of my day that I sometimes get a break.

So, unless you are the Publisher's Clearing House coming to bring me my check or are offering new windows and siding for free, please, please, please...stop ringing my bell!

PS- This memo DOES NOT apply to the Girl Scouts. Please, during cookie sales time, stop by as many times as you would like. Thin mints and Samoas totally trump napping children.

1 comment:

Rob and Michele said...

You are hilarious. You need to be writing for a sitcom!

Seriously, tape a very large sign to the front of your door when you put the kids down that says something along the lines of, "Children napping! Ring the bell and I will ring your neck! Have a nice day." --or something to that effect:) I was having the same problem with the neighbor kids waking Ben when they came to see if Andrew could play. The sign worked. . .eventually. Did I ever tell you about the overly enthusiastic bus driver who had to honk (at least 3 times) every day when she dropped the kids off at 3:00? I seriously pictured myself chasing her down and ripping her from the bus and beating her senseless. Jolly good, then! I must go. It's time for my pills.