Saturday, August 28, 2010

Safety First!

Yesterday, while I was doing some things outside, I looked up and saw this:


Then, a minute later, this:


I have no idea whose idea this was or how this even started. You are probably thinking that I immediately put a stop to the clear misuse of the Cozy Coupe car. Oh, it did cross my mind, but I stopped myself for a couple of reasons:

1. I believe in natural consequences. Don't want to wear a coat when it's 40 degrees? Sure, go ahead outside. I would place Vegas bets that you'll be back in to put it on in less than 2 minutes. Want to wear long white socks with shorts and pull them all the way up? OK. Someone will make fun of you one of these days, and then you'll realize that mom was right when she told you it looked dorky. I surveyed the scene and decided that the worst thing that could happen, most likely, was that someone would slip off and suffer a scrape or two. A few minutes of crying and a character band-aid would be worth the lesson that no nagging from me would ever teach them.

2. They were being polite with each other. They were taking turns. They were saying things like "Tell me when your legs are tired and we'll trade spots." Then they traded spots with no whining! Some days, you'd have a better chance of seeing Bigfoot playing air hockey with the Loch Ness Monster than to see this happen. I was relishing the 126 seconds of pure cooperation.

And guess what?? They made it through this little experiment of theirs unscathed, and I got to witness my two children happily playing together.

On a side note: If you look closely, you will see that they are still wearing their pajamas at 11:30 a.m. I did actually have a reason for this. Later that evening, we were going to Xavier's preschool open house. I knew I'd have to change them before we left anyway, so why dirty two sets of clothes AND pajamas?? It's not being lazy, it's called being green.

And, I'll just come out and say it: After this, I fed them chicken nuggets and canned fruit for lunch.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I am going to clear off a shelf for my mother-of-the-year trophy.

No comments: