Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why I'm Working at Target

It has come to my attention that a few people have been questioning why I am working for Target. It was done in a curious way, since I do have a degree in elementary education and taught for 6 years. While I don't owe anyone an explanation, I will admit that I myself am nosy. I hate being left out of the loop and trying to decipher cryptic facebook updates. So, because I like to lay it on the line (just like an obscure band named Triumph), I will try and give the abridged version.

When I was pregnant with my son and in my sixth year of teaching, my accountant husband and I consulted our budget and decided that we would try to make a go of me being a stay-at-home mom. We both felt very strongly that one of us should be home with the kids if we could swing it financially. So, as the lesser of the two incomes, I began my life as a stay-at-home mom. Then, two and a half years later, my daughter came along. I can't say I've loved every single minute of being home, but I was so thrilled to be able to witness my kids' milestones and their quickly changing lives. I would never in a million years change my decision. I did some low-key childcare jobs here and there, but all of those included my kids. The plan was for me to stay home until the kids were in school full-time.

We all know what can happen to even the best-laid plans. My husband took a new job at a firm in Lafayette, IN, which would have warranted a move closer to both of our families. Well, in the fall of last year, things with that job didn't work out. That is just a fancy way of saying that my husband was (very suddenly and through no fault of his own) let go. At that point, he filed for unemployment and began an extensive job search. It was also around the time many stores were looking for seasonal help. So, in order to bring some immediate help to our situation, I applied and was hired at the Target 5 minutes from our home (thankfully, we hadn't sold our house here in Indy yet!)

God has a plan for us all, and my husband made some connections and found an opportunity to start his own accounting business. This is something he always wanted to do, but didn't think it would happen for many years. Target asked me to stay on, and because it offers flexible hours, extra income, and a way to avoid childcare costs (since Shawn is was working from home and has a flexible schedule), I accepted.

This is my first big-box retail experience, and I definitely think everyone should spend some time working in some kind of service industry. You would be a lot less inclined to leave your Starbuck's cup on a shelf, or put an entire pile of shoes you decided you didn't want in the toy department. Also, knowing WHY the checkout lines are backed up (3 people called in sick) would make you a more patient shopper.

The pay is not great by any means, and I hate all the weekends, not being able to make spontaneous plans, and missing out on family events, but Target has been a good company to work for. I can set my own availability (within reason) and have never had a problem requesting a day off. I can honestly say that the team leads and team members I work with are what makes the tiring and monotonous parts of my sales floor job bearable (and no, none of my coworkers have this blog address!)

This has also been a good chance for me to realize that the retail or corporate world is not something I can see myself in long-term. My last year of teaching, I was pretty burned out. I wasn't sure if teaching was something I wanted to do for the rest of my working life. But, I realize that eventually I have to go back into the field of education. Maybe it is or isn't going back to a full-time classroom, but I know it needs to be something along those lines. I know things are far from a bed of roses in the public education field right now, but I do feel it is where I need to be.

Am I saying that I look down upon someone who chooses the retail management field as a career? Absolutely not. Most of the people I work with have college degrees and/or a lot of experience. They are not dumb, and they are not there because they can't do anything else. They like what they do and we are all glad, because, let's be honest, who doesn't like to shop at Target? Most of the younger people I work with are going to school for something else right now. So, before you question someone's competency just because they are working an hourly job (Oh, come on, you're not Mother Teresa. We have all done it.), realize that you have no idea of their background and the circumstances in their life. Also, in this crazy economy, you never know when you or a loved one could find yourself in a position where you may need to take an hourly job to help your family. I would never wish a job loss upon anyone, but I do wish that you will be a little kinder and more understanding to the next person who rings up your groceries or brings food to your table.

4 comments:

Aimee Reisert said...

Good to hear from you again! I agree - everyone should take a job in retail/service industry at least temporarily to see what it's like on the other side!

See ya soon!

Daphne said...

I don't think you needed to explain to anyone why you are working at Target. Things change when you have a family. Maybe it's more that our priorities change. I was in a corporate marketing department moving up the ladder, but chose to take a marketing job in our hometown so I wouldn't have the commute or work-related travel. Sure I missed out on a lot of opportunity and money moving up the corporate ladder... but the extra time I've been able to spend with the kids is more important to me than the money or status. Life is too short not to enjoy the little things in life. And I honestly believe if you can learn to be happy with the things you have, and not try to "keep up" with everyone else and material things, you will be happy.

Amanda Fishel said...

I just got a second/summer job, but will try to continue it into next school year at White House/Black Market for a whopping $8/hour. It didn't seem to be worth the time, considering I can make over 3 times that working summer school (which I am doing also:), BUT I decided that a few 4-5 hour shifts a week right next to my apartment complex would be worth it, so that I can say someday soon, right next to my HOME, regardless of my marital status. Point is: you gotta do what you gotta do, and props to all of us women who are doing what we've gotta do...and getting awards in the process:)

daclawson2 said...

I think it awesome that you work at Target. It is my all time favorite all-purpose store. People do need get with it and quit being a-holes. I get some of that in my job. I suppose not everyone has wonderful parents to teach them things like patience and kindness. I remember the jobs our mom had when we were young: Chalmers Town Child Care, a cook at the Chalmers Pub, and my favorite cooking for fraternities and sororities at Purdue. She used to take us with her on days we were out of school. Though I don't think you are able to take Xavier and Aubrey with you to Target they will still remember it. When they get old enough to understand completely the reasons you took that job they will appreciate you much more. You will also be teaching them by example which sometimes is just as important as words.

I think Shawn has found a perfect spot for him and his personality. Like many of us Clawsons, he has a solid understanding of and belief in what is right and just. I always admired his ability to stand up for that belief, even if the consequences did not turn out in his favor. God has a plan for us all but I'm pretty sure he isn't going to just tell us what it is.

Hope all is well up there. I can't wait to see you guys. Hopefully soon.