Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day 2005

That, right...2005. I was going through some picture files and came across this one:

(Yes, I know it is sideways. For some reason, my computer isn't letting me rotate it, so just turn your head to the side.)

I was pregnant, very pregnant. I was overdue and 10 months pregnant with Xavier. My husband had graduated with his Master's in Accounting and was not planning on going to the ceremony because it was so close to my due date. Then, he found out he was receiving a leadership award, so I convinced him to go. I would surely have had the baby by then, since my due date was May 3rd, right? Wrong. Oh, I was just learning that my babies throughly love my womb and refuse to come out on their own accord.

So, since I was having absolutely no signs of labor, I went to see my husband walk the stage and get his paper. It was a lovely day in downtown Indianapolis. The ceremony was at the convention center, which conveniently has parking attached to the building. The catch? You have to pay ($5 or $10 max.) to park there. One would think that any man with a wife wearing kitten heels (in hindsight, I should have gone with flip flops) and carrying around an undisclosed amount of extra baby weight would surely park as close as possible to protect her from any unnecessary hardship of walking a long distance while carrying his firstborn child, right??? Oh no, why pay for parking when you can park at a street meter for free on the weekends? Not being extremely familiar with where things are located in downtown Indianapolis, I foolishly agreed. I was told we ended up with a great (free) spot that wasn't very far from the building. Hardy, har, har. Five minutes into the walk, I realize I have been bamboozled. I think even my husband discovered that maybe, just maybe, the center was a tad farther from our spot than he thought. After enduring countless "deer-in-headlights" stares at my belly from passer-bys, and what felt like many miles of terrain, we finally made it to our destination. He got his degree, I cheered proudly for my man (putting the whole parking escapade behind us), and he , smartly, went to get the car afterwards and picked me up. Hey, at least he learns from his mistakes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it was so nice of you to color coordinate with Shawn's trim on the robe. Impressive!!

Though painful at the time, it makes for a good story now. :-)