Monday, February 8, 2010

Come On-A My House

If you come over to my house for a visit, here are some things I'd love for you to know:

1. If you come by unannounced or with very short notice, it won't be clean. I will feel really bad and apologize profusely, but hopefully you will look past the clutter and dishes. My kids survive it, and so can yours.

2. Your kids can run and be a little crazy. I do have limits, but if it is raining or winter and we can't go outside, those limits seem to really get stretched. There are often races around the kitchen island and gymnastic routines on the couches. Hey, it's all in the name of beating childhood obesity. Don't worry, I won't let them jump from the coffee table to the couch at your house.

3. They can take all the toys out. Really, that is what they are there for. We aim to keep them in the playroom, but don't care if they get spread around.

4. Just ask if you or your kids need something to eat or drink. Or, just open the fridge or cabinets. Sometimes, I forget to ask, so don't feel rude if you bring this up.

5. Don't worry about picking up toys when you leave. I understand if you are trying to teach your kids responsibility and ask them to pick up some things. I also do this at other people's houses. But, don't feel like you can't leave until every single item is put back. For some reason, I am kind of OCD about which toys go in which bins, so I prefer to do most of this myself (with my kids' help, of course.)

6. If we are having a party, I would much rather hang out and socialize than do the dishes. This means I don't want you cleaning up or doing the dishes, either. It will make me feel guilty, and then I will have to clean up instead of doing my visiting. I usually don't have plans the day after large gatherings, so I use that day to clean. As much as I would love for the dishes to get up and walk away, they are always there the next morning; mocking me with their caked-on crustiness.

7. If I am having a kids' birthday party or any kind of holiday party, know that there will be food and probably lots of it. I come from my mom's school of thought...I would rather have too much food then not enough. So, even if a party is at 2:00 in the afternoon, there won't just be a bowl of chips. Come hungry.

8. I do like to entertain and have people come by. I hope my house is open and comfortable for people. If not, let me know how it can be. Really. We are pretty laid back people, I swear!

1 comment:

Lori said...

I like your rules. Wish I was close enough to stop by...I wouldn't mind the clutter!