Sunday, November 8, 2009

He's Leaving On a Jet Plane



Actually, that should be past tense, but I thought that song would be a catchy title, so I went with it.

My little boy left early (4:30 a.m. for a 7:00 a.m. flight!!!) Friday morning for Orlando, Flordia without me. He flew on a plane, will see Mickey Mouse and Shamu for the first time, and I will miss it. How did I allow such an atrocity to happen?????

My father-in-law travels a few times throughout the year for business, and my mother-in-law often accompanies him. They knew many months ago that he would have a trip to Orlando in Novemeber, and they asked if they could take Xavier. We tossed around the idea of all of us going, but once Shawn started this new job, he didn't have vacation time. I also thought about going with Aubrey, too. Ultimately, we decided that it was either going to be only Xavier or no one at all. At first, I really considered the latter. It upset me to think about missing out on these "firsts" of his. Once a few days passed, the crazy, emotional, codependent mom suddenly had some rational thoughts: We were not planning any big vacations for a while. When we did fly on a plane (which may be never, since my hsuband hates flying) or go to Disney World, he would be a few years older and it would still be fun and exciting for him. It would be pretty selfish of me to take away a very fun experience (and a generous offer) just because I didn't want to miss it. It wasn't that I didn't trust my in-laws, or I worried about something happening, it was just because I wouldn't be there. How fair is that to Xavier? Not only would he miss the plane, swimming outside in November, and the Magic Kingdom, but he would miss some great bonding time and memories with his grandparents. (OK, so he probably won't remember much of it in his adult years, but at least he will have pictures as proof!!)

So, I said yes. Of course, I was a little sad, but I don't regret the decision at all. (And I am not just saying that b/c this is a public forum. I also told a friend of mine in private tonight- just go ahead and ask Maureen:) I have talked to him a few times, and he is having a blast. I am so glad I got over myself and let him go. I can't wait to see the pictures and hear his stories when he gets home this Thursday.

***Note about the pictures...The top one makes it look like he was crying, but he was just cold. I also should have zoomed in on the bottom picture (or at least cropped it), but hey- I took it at 4:30 in the morning. Don't expect perfection.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

He actually looks just cold in that picture! I hope he had fun and happy birthday to sweet Aubrey!