Thursday, July 24, 2008

Soccer Mom: Week #5

What? Week 5? That's right...last week I missed soccer (week #4) due to the fabulous camping trip. We had to get there before all the weekend people so we could get a "good" spot. You know, one with lots of trees to shade our energy-efficient tent from the 95 degree weather and block it from the pounding rain...anyway..back to the game....

I was really dreading tonight. Honestly, all day I was considering that I would say I was going to soccer, but really head over to Barnes and Noble to get a Starbucks and read trashy celeb magazines for 2 hours. It would just take one lap around the block for me to break out in a sweat, so it would be easy for me to cover my lie. But, that darn conscience got to me, so I sucked it up (to quote Maureen) and headed to the sports complex.

Once I got there, I did feel better. We warmed up with some drills, which I enjoy...no pressure, not much running. Really, if I could find a soccer drill league, I would join in a heartbeat. Luckily, none of my teammates made comments like, "Oh, you weren't going to be gone this week, too??" I think they are just glad for warm bodies, because not enough people means no one can sub out. A few people are gone, but thankfully, our Peyton was there. The coach/ref asked if we would be interested in keeping score on the board, since everyone does in their head anyway. Oh, they do? I can barely kick the ball when it comes to me, so Lord knows I am not able to keep numbers straight in my head. The game begins...I was in the position as a forward for a while, which is great if you love the glory of scoring goals, but not so great if you hate a lot of running (guess which describes me?). I was winded after a few minutes, of course (you would think that in two weeks time I could have squeezed a 30 minute run in here or there, but I am busy, people. I have to update my Facebook profile on an hourly basis.) but kept on keepin' on till I could change positions.

This week, the other team had a few competitive people on it, but it didn't seem nearly as bad as the first week's team. Phew! It appeared as though we (and by we I mean the other people on my team) were going to shut them out, but they did score on us twice (I know this thanks to the scoreboard. I also know that we won, but again, it's just for fun). I'm not sure who it was, but there were two guys and some lady, clearly there for someone on the other team, who were trying to coach from the bleachers. Annnoying. If I am running to try to get a ball, please don't shout out techniques I should be using. I am flustered enough without some World Cup winner wannabe telling me who is open. Hello!?!?! You will be lucky if I don't miss the ball, let alone kick it to some player who happens to be open, but halfway down the field. Unless you are David Beckham (or some other pro soccer player whose name I don't know), keep your trap shut.

So, no goals, but I don't tend to play the postition that scores goals (this is soccer code for "Hell would host the Stanley Cup before I score a goal.") I am closer to becoming an athelte because :

a.) I sweat
b.) I got a bruise today! It is right below my knee and came from a foot! Now, many of the women have shin guards, but I would feel ridiculous wearing them. Like I am aggressive enough to get shins full of bruises. But, who knows? Maybe when I become a real athlete!
c.) I am playing a tad bit more aggressively. Oh, don't get me wrong...when I see that ball a comin', I do say a silent prayer that someone else will step in and get it. But, I don't always assume someone will. I actually run up for it at times. I know, what has gotten into me?
d.) No pulled muscles today!!!

Thanks to those of you (all 3 of you) who have told me they are enjoying my blog. I like writing it and I need something to keep me off of that addictive-as-cocaine Facebook. Stay tuned for more of my stories fo trying to become an athlete.

No comments: